Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

29 November 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Holiday Gift Guide - Classic Novels 101

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Holiday Gift Guide - Classic Novels 101

Each year I tell myself that I will try my best to read some more classic novels. I think it's important as a reader to at least give several classics a chance, because these classics shaped the literary world of today. However, sometimes it can be quite daunting to start some of these big titles... So for this week's Top Ten Tuesday, when the theme is holiday gift guides, I decided to go with a classic novels 101; classic novels I've read and actually really enjoyed and can highy recommend!

Be sure to share your own TTT's in the comments section below; I'd love to hear from you! 



1. 'A Christmas Carol' - Charles Dickens


Perfect for this time of year and a real classic Christmas story that is still one of the most well-known and loved festive stories ever written.



2. 'Little Women' - Louisa May Alcott


One of my favourite classic novels of all time and definitely not that difficult to read and get into, with a real captivating family story at its core.



3. 'Animal Farm' - George Orwell


I wouldn't say this is a novel I personally really enjoyed, but it is quite a good classic to check out because it's not that difficult to follow and is quite a signature read.



4. 'Frankenstein' - Mary Shelley


I was really surprised when I actually sat down and read this book; it's so much more than the basic Frankenstein story everyone knows. Definitely one I can recommend if you want to check out a classic.



5. 'Pride and Prejudice'/'Sense and Sensibility' - Jane Austen


I'd recommend any Jane Austen book, really, especially if you're a women's fiction/romantic novels fan; I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed!



6. 'The Picture of Dorian Grey' - Oscar Wilde


A good and original story and easy to get into.



7. 'The Great Gatsby' - F. Scott Fitzgerald


Also not a read I love, but definitely a classic I would recommend if you're looking for a classic that reads away quite easily and has a clear plotline at its centre.



8. 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass' - Lewis Carroll


A slightly puzzling read at times, but quite unique and lovely.



9. 'The Odyssey' - Homer


A true classic and quite an entertaining adventure, in my opinion.



10. 'Effi Briest' - Theodor Fontane


One of the last classic novels I've read, and I really enjoyed it. A bit long-winded at times, but still a really good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment