Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

7 October 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books For Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Ten Books For Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels 

Books are usually driven by one specific aspect: plot, theme, character. This week's Top Ten Tuesday list focuses on character-driven novels; stories that focus on the goals of characters, the relationships between characters. I spent quite some time trying to come up with character-driven novels I really enjoyed and I am looking forward to seeing other people's lists this week!  



1. Kathryn Stockett - 'The Help'



Kathryn Stockett's 'The Help' has become a classic within the literary world and deservedly so. The book is a great read and has some really fascinating and well-written characters at its core, which is why I thought it was the perfect book to start off this week's top 10 with.




2. Sophie Kinsella - 'Shopaholic' series



My favourite genre is chick lit and within this genre one of the best character-driven series has to be Sophie Kinsella's 'Confessions of a Shopaholic', starring Becky Bloomwood.




3. Nicholas Sparks - 'The Notebook'



Nicholas Sparks' novels are always filled with wonderful and intriguing characters. I picked 'The Notebook' because the entire story is based on and revolves around the two main characters, Allie and Noah, and their story is one that will stay with me forever. 




4. Jane Austen - 'Pride and Prejudice'



I couldn't possibly leave out this Jane Austen classic and one of my personal favourite novels of all time.




5. Juliet Greenwood - 'We That Are Left'



I finished this novel a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It has a great cast of characters at its core and I didn't want to put it down.




6. Jane Green - 'Tempting Fate'



Jane Green is a big name within the world of women's fiction and she always manages to create fascinating stories with interesting characters I won't forget.




7. Lindsey Kelk - 'I Heart' series



Angela Clark is the main character in Lindsey Kelk's 'I Heart...' series and she's one of my favourite chick lit heroines. She's incredibly funny, easy to relate to and manages to get into the craziest situations. Lindsey Kelk created a fantastic main character and lots of readers can't get enough of Angela and her friends, including me.




8. Emma Hannigan - 'Perfect Wives'



Over the past year I've had the pleasure of reading and reviewing quite a few of Emma Hannigan's novels and each time she manages to grab my attention with her stories and particularly the easy-to-warm-to characters in her books.




9. Amy Silver - 'The Reunion'



I was doubting whether this book is a real character-driven novel, or perhaps more plot-driven, but it's an amazing read with a truly great and fascinating cast of characters at its centre, so I decided to just add it!




10. J. Courtney Sullivan - 'The Engagements' 



Another book that definitely deserves a spot on this top 10. An enthralling and amazing read with many fascinating characters to focus on.
 
What are some of your favourite character-driven novels? I'd love to hear from you!

13 comments:

  1. Great list! I reread The Help with my local book club this year and it was just as great as the first time I read it.

    Here's my Top Ten - http://bmariebooks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/top-ten-books-for-people-who-like.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, thanks so much for stopping by! 'The Help' is a great read, isn't it? One of those unique novels you come across every once in a while!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my list, Deb! Jane Austen, couldn't possibly not mention her this week! ;)

      Delete
  3. Sadly I haven't read any of these but of course I am familiar with the Notebook and of course I cried over that beautiful book.

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, thanks for leaving a comment! :) Hopefully my suggestions will give you some ideas for future reads. 'The Notebook' is amazing, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Great choices! I'm really regretting that I didn't put the Help on my list now.
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/10/top-ten-books-for-readers-who-like.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Help' is a wonderful book! Thanks for stopping by, Lois! :)

      Delete
  5. I thought about the Help too. But ended up going with something else. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read and loved The Help as well. It's the only book I read off this list though. The Help is amazing character-wise, there's so much strength and development!
    Good picks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I think I could add it to each week's list, to be honest! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete