Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

11 September 2014

Review: 'You're the One That I Want' by Giovanna Fletcher (2014)

Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had.

And that's the problem.

Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

‘You’re the One That I Want’ is probably one of the novels of 2014 I have been looking forward to for reading for months. I loved Giovanna Fletcher’s debut novel ‘Billy and Me’ which was released last year and ended up as one of my favourite reads of 2013. So, it’s no wonder I was incredibly excited when her second novel was announced and released on the 22nd of May. As soon as I received my copy of the book I wanted to dive in, but I decided to save it for my summer holiday, knowing it would be the perfect read to take with me. So, while I was spending a lovely week in the Peak District, I had this wonderful novel to keep me company while sitting in the sun and it definitely did not disappoint!

Maddy, Robert and Ben, also known as the Tripod, have been the best of friends since they were little kids running around the neighbourhood and climbing trees together. They grew up together, being there for each other for all the milestones. Yet, it is one of Maddy’s teenage milestones that changes her friendship with Ben and Rob forever: her first love. She falls for Rob and they decide to give things a go. However, Ben also has feelings for Maddy and soon the three of them find themselves stuck in a love triangle. Maddy doesn’t want to have to choose between her two best friends, but as soon as she is getting married, she knows she will have to make a decision...

I am so happy to be able to say I enjoyed Giovanna Fletcher’s second novel just as much as her debut ‘Billy and Me’, which I loved. ‘You’re the One That I Want’ lets the reader follow best friends Maddy, Rob and Ben through their childhood, teenage years and their twenties. We’re given the chance to really get to know the three main characters and see their friendship develop. I loved Maddy; it was so easy to warm to her and I almost felt like a good friend of hers, wanting to jump into the novel to listen to her and give her some advice. As a female reader I felt incredibly lucky while reading this story because it includes two simply amazing men, Rob and Ben. I couldn’t make a decision between Team Rob or Team Ben because they are both wonderful in their own way. I can’t blame Maddy for not being able to choose between the two of them!

I loved being able to join Maddy, Rob and Ben during different stages of their lives; their time growing up in the town of Peaswood, their time as students at university. I specifically enjoyed the fact that the story is told from both Maddy’s and Ben’s perspective, shedding a different light on specific situations and events. I expect some people might think the storyline of this novel doesn’t at first sight sound too original, but Giovanna Fletcher really managed to make it her own with her amazing writing and turned it into a captivating story I didn’t want to put down. With this second novel Giovanna has undoubtedly proven she’s one of the new promising voices within the world of chick lit and I already can’t wait for her third novel. ‘You’re the One That I Want’ is a truly captivating and bittersweet story about love and friendship with a fabulous cast of characters at its core; definitely pick it up if you haven’t already because you won’t be disappointed!
Rating:9,5/10
 
For more information about this book: Amazon.co.uk / Amazon.com / Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment